Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) is a common condition caused by overactive sweat glands which produce excessive amounts of sweat even when at rest or in cool conditions.
Hyperhidrosis can be a very embarrassing condition leading to significant emotional distress which can exacerbate the condition. Excess sweating can result in avoidance of social interactions.
Areas commonly affected include forehead, hands, feet and underarms (axilla). Certain factors such as caffeine or nicotine may exacerbate the condition.
Results are noticeable after around 2 – 3 weeks and last up to 8 months on a single treatment.
Botulinum toxin can be injected into the skin in problem areas and is highly effective at stopping excessive sweating. It works by blocking nerves which stimulate sweating.
2. Skin is prepared with iodine
3. Starch power is applied to the affected area
4. Skin is marked
5. Multiple tiny injection botulinum toxin into area
- Bruising and redness may occur
- Avoid touching the skin or any application of products for 24 hours
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sauna and swimming for 24 hours
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours
- Paracetamol for analgesia
- Pain, bruising, bleeding (common)
- Inflammation (rare)
- Infection (rare)
Single treatment session from £300