Wrinkle Relaxing Injections
Facial expressions cause muscles to contract and lines and shadows appear in our skin (‘dynamic wrinkles’). As our skin looses elasticity these lines increasingly become visible when the muscle is contracting and are seen at rest (‘static wrinkles’). Botulinum toxin (commonly referred to as “Botox” – although this is actually a brand name of one type of Botulinum toxin) is a protein, which binds to the nerves, which control muscle contraction, and temporarily prevents them from doing so. Some of the most common areas these occur are forehead, between eyebrows, around eyes and around the mouth.
A botulinum toxin in the upper face lasts between 3-4 months. With repeated treatments muscle re-conditioning and weakening of the treated muscles and strengthening of the opposing muscles means less treatments are required. By inhibiting the action of certain muscles both dynamic and static wrinkles can be prevented.
BOTOX INJECTION INFORMATION
- Bruising, mild swelling and redness is normal for 24-48 hours.
- Avoid touching the skin for 4 hours.
- Avoid application of any skincare product for 24 hours.
- Avoid further aesthetic treatments for 2 weeks
- Paracetamol is usually sufficient for analgesia
- Risks: pain, bruising, bleeding, inflammation
- Rare: reaction to product, infection, migration of toxin.
- Avoid anything which may cause vasodilation (e.g. alcohol, sauna, gym) for 24 hours.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A BOTOX TREATMENT?
Consent and photograph
Skin preparation and marking
Tiny amounts of botulinum toxin are carefully injected into muscles
No touching for 4 hours
One area Botox Ⓡ Injections
One area [20 units] e.g. fore head
Two area Botox Ⓡ Injections
Two area [40 units] e.g. glabellar and crows feet
Three areas Botox Ⓡ Injections
Three area [60 units] (e.g. full face)
Botox Ⓡ Injections (Special indications)
Depending on muscle size and area treated
- Microneedling procedure to correct facial tissue laxity and fine lines
- Combined glabellar wrinkle relaxing BOTOX ® and a single (1 mL) injection of hyaluronic acid (Restylane ®) filler to restore glabellar dermis structure. Further treatment with […]
- Careful correction of deep horizontal forehead lines with BOTOX Ⓡ wrinkle relaxing treatment in male patient with dermatochalasis at risk of brow ptosis. Further treatment with […]
- Correction of prominent glabellar frown line and mild brow ptosis instantly corrected with a single (1 mL) injection of hyaluronic acid (Restylane ®) filler
- Hyaluronic acid (Restylane ®) filler treatment (2 mL) for lip enhancement and rejuvenation around the mouth and maxilla
Wrinkle relaxing and prevention with botulinum toxin injections as SimplySkin Aesthetic Medicine Clinic at Apple & Eve Beauty, Earls Court, London